Bees

Swarm Hive Update

posted Jul 9, 2013, 6:54 PM by Dale Hartung





I checked on the bees on Sunday 7-7-2013.  The were doing wonderful and I captured this photo of the new comb they built in 48 hours.  The new comb is on the left.  The comb on the right is from the original swarm location.  I removed it and wired it in.  
















Mr. Northern Reminded me of the original swarm hive photos he sent, so here they are.


Swarm Hive 3JUL2013

posted Jul 6, 2013, 7:06 AM by Dale Hartung   [ updated Jul 6, 2013, 7:48 AM ]





The local bee club received an email from a property owner in Milwaukee that he had a swarm of bees move into a brick pile.  He wanted to save the bees so we attempted to get them out.  I made an initial visit on Monday July 1st to assess what was there.  I moved one brick and this is what I found



















I was originally going to take them out on July 3rd, but when we showed up it was pouring rain. I already had some open brood and honey for bait. We hastily added the bait box on top of what we thought was their entrance and left.  

I went back on July 5th because it was evident that the bees did not move up into the box.  They were using a lower entrance in the brick pile to fly in and out.  So I had to move them in manually.  View the slideshow to see how it went.  I happen chanced on the queen crawling on a brick. It was a good catch. 

Thank You Mr. Northern for taking the photos!

Direct Link (in case the slideshow doesn't work)  Swarm Album on Picassa

Swarm Capture 5JUL2013























1-2 of 2